[mod_python] framework agnostics (was: Thread safety)

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Jun 7 23:54:28 EDT 2005

I guess where I am looking is beyond just the mod_python basics, and
more into
what Apache has to offer as well. For example, its different request
processing
phases, the ability to use mod_python as more than just the content
handler
phase, the ability to work with other Python modules such as mod_ssl
etc etc.
Because these things are very Apache specific, there isn't going to
really
be an equivalent in some other HTTP server framework and thus WSGI
can't really
encompass them in a portable way. Even some of the mod_python specific
things
like support for automatic module reloading don't have parallels in
other
systems. Thus as I said, WSGI has to either pitch quite low, or grow to
implement
these things at the level of WSGI, in which case it becomes yet another
framework
in itself, rather than just glue to bring together the HTTP server and
a framework.