[mod_python] Thread safety

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Mon Jun 6 20:21:12 EDT 2005

Dan Eloff wrote ..
> > if you are running Apache 2.0 with the "worker" MPM, then you need to
> be
> > threadsafe.  if you are running "prefork" MPM or Apache 1.3, it only
> uses
> > child processes for concurrent operation and is not threaded.  of course
> > it might be a good idea to be threadsafe no matter what for portability
> > reasons.
>
> I forgot about that, I'd like to make things work with either
> eventually. I'm working on an alternate publisher for mod_python. When
> it's finished I'll share it with the mod_python community and if they
> like it they can help me integrate it. I think initially I'll not
> worry about threading, better to get everything running first.

Just curious, but what is it about your publisher that is different to the
standard mod_python.publisher or other extensions such as mpservlets
and Vampire.

I appreciate that writing a dispatch mechanism for mod_python is an
interesting programming task in its own right and that may be why you
are doing it, but there are a few others already to choose from. Obviously
though, each perhaps targets a different way of using mod_python and
you just might have in mind a different way again.

I am always interested to learn about different ways people see that
mod_python can be used. :-)