[mod_python] Accessing objects loaded with PythonImport

Lee Brown administrator at leebrown.org
Sat Jun 4 17:40:18 EDT 2005

Greetings!

After reading both Nicolas' and Graham's comments, it seems that there's an
unspoken question:

"Why on Earth are you writing YAPWF (Yet Another Python Web Framework) when
you can't hardly avoid tripping over a dozen good ones, already written?"

'Tis a good question.

First, a little background:  I don't program for a living.  In fact, in real
life(tm) I'm a mechanical engineer whose daily professional life is all
about nuts and bolts and gears and what-not.  I write code because, well, I
like writing code.  It's fun for me because I can never resist a puzzle and
programming is all about solving puzzles in one form or another.  If I were
doing this for a living on a live production site, I would indeed seek out
and implement one of the many good, exisiting Python based frameworks.  But
where's the fun in that?

Let me explain what I'm trying to accomplish with my current mod_python
project, and maybe some folks might care to comment on it:

I host about a half-dozen web sites for my friends and colleagues.  None of
these sites are anything more than 'hobby' sites, really.  One of them is
bulletin board for a friend who likes to compose music and share
compositions with other composers.  On another site, my brother has
emendations of Shakespeare's works which he shares with other Shakespeare
scholars.  None of these sites go more than a dozen pages deep, and none of
them scores more than a couple-dozen hits per day.  I do it just because I
like doing it.

However, keeping everything up-to-date started to consume a lot of my time.
The first thing I tried was to enable webDAV so the site owners could update
their own content.  Jeeze, what a disaster!  WebDAV is fine for
authentication and authorization, but it does nothing to stop owners from
uploading broken code and the inevitable crash n' burn that results.  (My
site owners are all bright people but they are NOT programmers!)

So then I tried writing a python program that would automatically validate
new code against the W3C validation servers.  That worked fine for stopping
bad code but it did nothing about FIXING it.  So it was still taking up more
of my time than I'd rather.

So then I tried to find a way to keep bad code from happening, period.  I
decided to go with XML; I made up an XML Schema for the site owners and set
them up with an XML authoring tool suitable for their hardware platform.
Now they can change content to their heart's content and that content will
be validated before it even gets to me.  And by using XSLT as a templating
engine, I could ensure that the pages were transformed into properly
formatted, valid xhtml.

However, I was still stuck with linking up the pages and making sure the
site navigation was fixed up properly.  I also had to keep a watch for new
content and run it through an XSLT process to transform it into xhtml.

So this is my current Holy Grail project: A self-administrating,
self-configuring, self-healing web server based on XML and XSLT.  OF all the
frameworks I looked at, Apache's Forrest was the closest thing to what I
wanted.  It is entirely XML driven and is self-building, but unfortunately
it A) runs on Java, a language I've successfully avoided so far, and B) it's
rather complicated for my needs.

Besides, writing it yourself is half the fun, right?

The skeleton of my code runs something like this:

For each vhost on server startup:

	Execute /serverroot/config/site_config.py to get the site's default
CSS, JavaScript, Schema, and XSLT template information.
	Walk the file system path starting with the document root.  (All
vhost docroots start at '/severroot/home'.)
	For each subdirectory (recursive) containing a file called
'page.xml':
		Validate the page against the schema
		Build a site navigation structure using the file system path
as the navigation tree path.
		Transform 'page.xml' into 'page.html' using XSLT, merging in
the navigation structure.
		(If any of these steps fail, the page is skipped over and
replaced with an error page.)

(In this way, the entire site is rebuilt on a server restart with only
known, valid code.)

For each request of the form 'www.site.name/path/to/page':

	Look for 'page.html' in docroot/path/to/page
	Compare the file system timestamps for 'page.xml' and 'page.html'
	If 'page.xml' is newer than 'page.html':
		retransform 'page.xml' into 'page.html' through the XSLT
engine
		(If transform fails, set 'page.html' to an error page)
	Serve page.html

Now each site owner can upload new content for existing pages and have those
changes incorporate immediately.  The Webmaster and ONLY the Webmaster
(read: me) can upload changes to CSS, JavaScripts, XSLT Templates, and other
sensitive bits.  As the Apache HTTP Server can be issued a restart command
from a remote computer, I can implement changes without being in front of
the hosting computer.  And if it all falls apart, I can remotely reconfigure
the server to disable the python handler and just serve the existing html
until I have time to sit down and properly sort things out.

All of which no doubt raises yet another unspoken question: "Boy, you sure
do have a weird definition of 'fun', don't you?"

Best Regards,
Lee E. Brown
(administrator at leebrown.org)