[mod_python] Spawning Long Running Processes

Michael Rushton M.J.D.Rushton at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 3 14:56:23 EDT 2005

Hello,
What is the best way to spawn a process from a mod_python that could
take several hours to complete?

I am trying to write a handler that when accessed for the first time
spawns a long running process that writes to a file. On subsequent
accesses, the handler would show the contents of the file produced by
the long process, refreshing the page occasionally with meta refresh
tags.

I have had a stab at achieving this by double forking the process.
This however, has had the disadvantage that for really long running
processes   the forked processes still seem to be bound to port 80
thus preventing httpd daemon restarts. A problem when you want to
update apache configuration settings.

What am I doing wrong? And what is the accepted way for spawning long
lived processes from mod_python?

I would be very grateful if someone could point me to some source
examples that show how to achieve this.

Kind Regards,
Michael Rushton