[SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sat Jul 30 03:23:08 EDT 2005

On 30/07/2005, at 4:57 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 13:20 -0500, Jon-Pierre Gentil wrote:
>
>> If you are trying to install it from redhat's
>> package system, and it requires you to install -devel packages
>> just for
>> it to work, then it is a shortcoming in Redhat, not mod_python.
>>

> Just to be clear on this point, but not try to further this aspect of
> the thread, I do wholeheartedly agree with your above point.  The
> reason
> for needing the python2-devel package is that it is where (presumably)
> Redhat put all the non-english and non-unicode encodings.  I can
> see why
> they might have put this in a separate package, but I can't agree that
> it belongs in -devel.

If I recollect properly, the separate python-devel package only
contains the
"config" directory and "include" files. This "config" directory
contains a
makefile and other bits that could be used to create your own static
Python
binary with your own extensions statically linked in. The makefile in
that
directory is also consulted by the "distutils" modules which
practically all
Python related packages use to perform installation of a Python package.

Can't remember if the absence of the "config" directory will prevent
a pure
Python package being installed using "distutils", but if the "config"
directory
or "include" directory are missing, you most definitely can't build
or install a
Python package which has C/C++ code based extensions that have to be
compiled against Python, ie., like mod_python.

I somewhat doubt that the non-english and non-unicode encoders were
in the python-devel package as they have nothing to do with development
and would very much need to be a part of the main runtime package.

I haven't touched a Linux system in years, but it was an annoyance that
some Linux distributions had this separate python-devel package as it
meant you had to go find the extras CD to install even the most
trivial of
Python packages. :-(