[SPAM] Re: [mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 16:56:24 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 16:11 -0400, Jorey Bump wrote:
> These are all limitations of Red Hat, and have little to do with
> mod_python.

They are not exclusive "limitations" of Redhat, and the argument is
easily won when defining the differences between what a secure
production system is and what a development box is.

> Some platforms do not support customization as well as
> others.

This isn't a customization issue at all.  It's a compilation and
development issue.  One example: mod_python switched meaning of
--with-python somewhere between here and there (but nobody readily
documented this in such a fashion that even complex goggling would
reveal).  Another:  even though python2 existed at the time, the
mod_python Makefile from v2.7.11 hardcodes /usr/bin/python signifying
that the developers never thought/intended for it to work with python2.

> If you want to compile software from scratch, you need the
> supporting files, which some distributions choose to break out into
> other packages. You can set up a development machine, compile the
> software, then transfer the results to your production environment.

That is *exactly* my systems layout.  Dev work is done locally and
released after testing to production systems.  Unfortunately, local dev
work is not proceeding well as previously outlined.

> But when you do this, you are deviating from the philosophy and losing some
> of the benefits of your platform. You are better off upgrading or
> switching platforms.

...or the applications.  All I am trying to do is get python and
python2, from the same era, working with mod_python and apache releases
also from the same era.  Latest and "greatest" isn't necessary as
necessary functionality exists in the versions I am using (other than w/
mod_python).

-Jim P.