[mod_python] mod_python and python2

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 17:45:22 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 06:51 +1000, Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> No, you will need to rebuild mod_python to explicitly use the newer
> version of Python.

I checked the FAQ and found an entry on doing this (entry 2.21)  It says
to configure --with-python=/usr/local/bin/python2.4, but I am using
python2.2, so I do this:

  cd mod_python-2.7.11$
  ./configure --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.2

Then I get this:
   checking for --with-python... ./configure: cd: /usr/bin/python2.2:
        Not a directory
   /root/BUILD/mod_python-2.7.11
   checking for python... no
   configure: error: python executable not found in /usr/bin/python2.2,
   perhaps you need to build Python first.

I have these rpms installed:

   rpm-python-4.0.4-7x.18
   python-1.5.2-43.73
   python2-2.2.2-11.7.3
   python-tools-1.5.2-43.73
   python2-devel-2.2.2-11.7.3

Do I really need to rebuild python2 from scratch just to get mod_python
working with it?  This seems like more work than necessary.  Is there
perhaps a mod_python2 project somewhere?

Thanks,

-Jim P.