[mod_python] Articles on module importing.

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Thu Jul 7 07:54:48 EDT 2005

For a while now I have been working on a series of articles to cover
the basics of the module importing system in mod_python, the various
problems it has and how it may be fixed. Because of work and other
commitments, I haven't had a chance to do anything on this for a few
weeks and my ability to get back to it in the near future doesn't look
too good either.

As such, I am going to make available what I have done so far. This
equates to a bit of background information on the interfaces to the
module importing system as well as a list of the problems it currently
has. The latter list may yet be extended as there were some things I
hadn't covered but I have managed to forget what they were. I have
also rushed at the last minute to try and make it presentable and
add a few last items, thus I may need to tweak a few things.

What is missing is my ideas of how the module importing system can be
fixed. I would rather get documented what I feel needs to be done
before I get drawn into an any arguments on how to fix it. Thus, feel
free to comment on the list of problems/issues, letting me know of any
other problems you know of or where you feel I am wrong in my analysis,
but can we please defer the discussion on how to fix it for a while
yet. :-)

The articles can be found along with my prior article on getting
started with mod_python at:

   http://www.dscpl.com.au/articles.html

The two new articles which have been posted are:

   http://www.dscpl.com.au/articles/modpython-002.html
   http://www.dscpl.com.au/articles/modpython-003.html

I have posted this message to the general list rather than just the
developer list as the information may be of general interest in as
much as it will raise awareness that there are actually problems.
I suggest that when we later get down to discussions on how to fix
it that it be done on the developer list and not here however.