[mod_python] psp_site example doesn't work

Nick nick at dd.revealed.net
Mon Jan 24 12:45:34 EST 2005

While I don't use the publisher handler anymore, I agree with these guys.
It *is* essentially correct behavior for python, but it is also
non-intuitive and a stumbling block for new users.

I don't believe getting rid of the publisher handler is a solution, because
it's a good starting place, simple to understand, and particularly useful to
some folks.  It's a good way to understand how mod_python works, in terms of
an example of how to write handlers.

Maybe the solution is just to document the behavior and explain WHY that
happens.  As a relatively experienced Python user before mod_python, it only
took a short time to track this down and understand the problem, but it
seems like a lot of users are new to both Python and mod_python.
Secondarily, make an import function available separate from the Python
import facilities that implements something like what is done in Vampire
and/or mp_servlets, while leaving the default mechanism intact.

Nick