[mod_python] Beta testers for "vampire::publisher"?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sun Feb 27 23:43:18 EST 2005

Is there anyone out there who is currently using mod_python.publisher
and who appreciates its short comings enough that they would be
interested in beta testing a new version of Vampire which provides a
"publisher" compatible mode which tries to address these issues?

In asking, I mean to the extent of hosting and getting working an
existing mod_python.publisher application on top of Vampire instead,
not just kicking the wheels a bit.

At the simplest, all you would need to do is change:

  PythonHandler mod_python.publisher

to:

  PythonHandler vampire::publisher

To get the most out of vampire::publisher, you would however have to
stop using "apache.import_module()" and convert over to the Vampire
module import scheme instead. Some of the things that you get from
this are:

- Ability to use index.py in multiple directories at the same time.
- Autoreload that imports parent modules when children change.
- Ability to define what gets transitioned to a new module on reimport.
- Ability to use new style classes and not just old style classes.
- Ability to convert form input to lists and dictionaries automatically.
- Various bugs present in mod_python.publisher do not exist.
- Other things I can't think of right now....

Do note that although vampire::publisher eliminates some of the
restrictions which exist in mod_python.publisher in some places, its
behaviour in others is more strictly defined and it is possible that some
thing you may do now may not work, although making it work should
be straightforward.

BTW, this new version of Vampire also has an ability to publish selected
objects through a standard content handler, ie., when you aren't even
using mod_python.publisher. For example:

  class Exported:
    def __call__(self):
      return "Exported.__call__()"
    def method1(self):
      return "Exported.method1()"
    def method2(self):
      return "Exported.method2()"

  _exported = Exported()

  handler = vampire.Publisher(_exported)

This ability would be of more interest to people who are already using
Vampire.

If anyone wants a better description of specific things I mention above
as in improvement, let me know.

Any takers? If interested let me know and I'll let you know how to get it
when I have it in an appropriate place to download.

If people are truly prepared to give it a go, I'll give all the assistance I
can to get your stuff working with it.

--
Graham Dumpleton (grahamd at dscpl.com.au)