[mod_python] [ANNOUNCE] Mod_python 3.1.4 and 2.7.11 (security)

Damjan gdamjan at mail.net.mk
Thu Feb 17 06:17:12 EST 2005

> The Apache Software Foundation and The Apache HTTP Server Project are
> pleased to announce the release of versions 3.1.4 and 2.7.11 of mod_python.

I'd like to report one bug and one wish list, both bothering me for some time.

1. [The BUG] My apache (2.0.53 on Slackware linux) is built with these parameters:
apxs -q CPPFLAGS =>  -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
apxs -q CFLAGS   =>  -pipe -O2 -march=i486

The problem is that mod_python's build system doesn't honor the CPPFLAGS
at all. There's no mention of CPPFLAGS in the ./configure script, not in
the generated Makefiles.

Compiled like that, and apache SegFaults on the first request - even a
request for a static page. I had to mannually tweak the Makefile's after
./configure was done to add those flags and compile a working
mod_python.

2. [The Wish] I'd suggest to tweak the ./configure script, to try to link
to the python dynamic library first, and only if it fails to link the static.
The only change wuld be to first try to link without the
'-L/usr/lib/python2.3/config' option.
A dynamically linked mod_python would get the benefit of always beeing
the same version with the installed Python when minor versions are
upgraded on the system. I've done this always and I've never had
problems.

--
damjan | дамјан
This is my jabber ID --> damjan at bagra.net.mk <-- not my mail address!!!