[mod_python] Cookie vs. Session

Shawn Harrison harrison at tbc.net
Wed Feb 9 09:47:28 EST 2005

> On 09/02/2005, at 11:21 AM, Jef Dodson wrote:
>
>> This might be a naive question, but how does one know whether to use a
>> Cookie or a Session for
>> session/state management?  What are the major differences?  My
>> interest is in simply allowing
>> someone to login to a site and then be able to identify that user when
>> they make subsequent
>> requests in order to send them customized content.  So, this is pretty
>> standard stuff, but is it
>> better to use cookies or session objects for this.  Thanks.

If you use cookies directly, each variable that you want to set (such as
username) is stored client-side, in the browser of the person looking at
the page. If you use session objects, only the session id is stored
client-side. All the other variables are stored server-side, keyed to
the session id.

Byron Ellacott wrote [02/08/05 11:41 PM]:

> [...]
>
> Just bear in mind, it would be trivial to spoof yourself to appear to be
> another user with such a simple scheme.  If this is in any way bad, you
> would probably want to consider at least using a SignedCookie instead of
> a regular Cookie object.  The documentation for the Cookie module can
> help you further.

I recently set up session management on my last project and had the same
question about "Session vs just Cookie" for session management. I ended
up going with the Session object primarily because the session id, which
is stored in a cookie, would be very hard to spoof. Then the username
and any other information is stored server-side. This arrangement is a
bit more secure than just storing usernames in cookies.

--
harrison at tbc.net