[mod_python] Installing mod_python to use a different version of python

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Fri Feb 4 02:45:55 EST 2005

Lawrence Bruhmuller wrote:

> Here is my dilemma:
>
> I am developing software to sit on top of RH Enterprise Linux (3.0
> ES), and furthermore sit on top of Python/Apache/mod_python.  Business
> reasons dictate RHEL as opposed to Fedora or other options.
>
> To support my application, I need mod_python 3.1.x, since I need the
> mod_python.Session module.  RHEL comes with mod_python 3.0.3.
>
> In addition, I also need python 2.3.x, and RHEL comes with 2.2.3.
>
> As I understand it, it is not a good idea to upgrade the system
> version of python, as all kinds of other dependent programs could go
> awry.  So I can avoid this by just building python 2.3 from source, as
> the package "python2.3", leaving "python" as is at 2.2.3.
>
> But if I do this, when I build mod_python from source, isn't it going
> to build against "python" which is the old version?  And hence I won't
> get what I want?  How I do I get mod_python built so that my "extra"
> python is used at buildtime/runtime?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Lawrence
>
> Do you Yahoo!?
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=30648/*http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/jibjabinaugural.html>

Here is the script I use to build apache, python and modpython on RedHat
7.3 (a bit similar to RHEL)

#!/bin/bash
pythonversion=2.3.4
apacheversion=2.0.52
modpythonversion=3.1.3
(
 cd python-$pythonversion
 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/python23 && make && make install
) && (
 cd httpd-$apacheversion
 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-proxy && make && make
install
) && (
 cd mod_python-$modpythonversion
 ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
--with-python=/usr/local/python23/bin/python && make && su -c "make install"
)

David