[mod_python] Issues in apache MPM mode

Arzola, Nelson narzola at seattleschools.org
Mon Aug 22 13:32:38 EDT 2005

I've been running mod_python under both a threaded and pre-fork version of apache for about 4 months now.  I had a an extremely difficult time getting mod_python and ZSI to work together without getting a segfault.

My suggestion is that if you don't already know how, learn to use the ldd command.  Then run ldd against your "httpd" executable, the "python" executable, all of the apache modules and all of the python modules.  Make sure that there are no requests for the same library from two different directories.

On Solaris 10, you will need to make extensive use of the LDFLAGS="-R/some/lib/dir" in order to keep from getting the "wrong" libraries.  This is because Solaris 10 provides older versions of the libraries that you are likely to want to use in /usr/sfw/lib.  Since many programs also supply their own libraries, the situation is ripe for problems.

Don't bother with development until you are sure you have the library issue under control.