[mod_python] Newbie question: Apache config

Vijay Avarachen vavarachen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:24:38 EDT 2005

Hello,
I am really confused with the way mod_python works. Unfortunately all the
examples of apache configuration for mod_python I have seen are not very
good, either that or its supposed to be extremely simple and I am not
getting it. I have few python scripts that I'd like to run using mod_python,
but I can't get them to work using PythonHandler mod_python.publisher.

Here is what I have in my conf.d/python.conf :
<Directory "/home/user/public_html/python">
 AddHandler mod_python .py
 PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
 PythonDebug on
</Directory>

This does not work for the mptest example from the mod_python documentation.
I don't understand why it does not work. However changing the line to
PythonHandler
mptest it works. I can't imagine having to list out each and every python
script I plan to run after PythonHandler. I know there has to be a better
way.

Also I am a bit confused between psp and a python script. The only
difference as far as I can tell is, psp uses html with embedded python code,
and a python script basically prints the html code. What other options do I
have other than mod_python.publisher. Dropping do a python shell and
importing mod_python doesn't give me any useful info. Doing a
dir(mod_python) gives me:
>>> dir(mod_python)
['__all__', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '__path__']

Thanks,
Vijay Avarachen

--
"Knowledge is the only wealth that grows as you spend it, and diminishes as
you save it."