[mod_python] Session initializatin failes - unsubscriptable object

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Apr 26 17:28:47 EDT 2005

Adding that the reason is that you have specified the original
PythonHandler
definition outside of any <Directory> directive in your configuration
file.

Quote from previous bug report from this for more detail:

  The problem is caused by the way you have set up the Apache config
file.

  If you do not specify AddHander/PythonHandler outside of a Directory
  directive it will work okay.

  Ie., use:

  # Enable debug under /psp directory
  <Directory /var/www/html/psp>
  AddHandler mod_python .psp
  AddHandler mod_python .psp_
  PythonHandler mod_python.psp
  PythonDebug On
  </Directory>

  If you specify AddHandler outside of the a Directory directive, when
doing:

    dirpath = self._req.hlist.directory

  the dirpath variable will be set to None, which then cannot be indexed.

  The Session code should possibly check for this strange case, noting
though
  that what you did in the first place is probably not recommended and
could
  break other things as well.

The previous case was for PSP, but same thing if you use publisher
handlers.

As Nicolas indicated, you can also set ApplicationPath explicitly if
for some
reason you can't do things inside of a <Directory> directive.