[mod_python] installing on apache 1.x server

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Apr 6 23:26:23 EDT 2005

David Bear wrote ..
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:25:06AM +1000, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> freebsd related: when I attempt to install mod_python 2.x from the
> ports collection I get this:
>
> creating Doc/Makefile
> analyzing dependencies
> Error: Python installation in /usr/local uses threads. mod_python
> requires
> it to be built without threads. Please deinstall & rebuild/reinstall
> Python with
> WITHOUT_THREADS set.
> *** Error code 1

Which exact versions of mod_python 2.X and Python are you using. Looks to be
old as mod_python 2.7.10+ versions have a warning:

  echo "  ****** WARNING ******"
  echo "  Python is compiled with thread support. Apache 1.3 does not use threads."
  echo "  On some systems this will cause problems during compilation, on others "
  echo "  it may result in unpredictable behaviour of your Apache server. Yet on"
  echo "  others it will work just fine. The recommended approach is to compile"
  echo "  Python without thread support in a separate location and specify it with"
  echo "  --with-python option to this ./configure script."

I don't see that it actually prevents you from using Python with threads
and certainly I have used threaded Python on Mac OSX with Apache 1.3.

> any idea how I force the build without actually recompiling python?

If not using mod_python 2.7.10 or later, get down the newer version and
you might find it will let you keep going anyway, although if you are using
a new enough version of Python where bool type is supported, it may not
even detect you have thread support anyway as configure uses check
which only works prior to bool type being introduced.

> second question is..
>
> is it now time to really look at apache 2. I've been under the
> impression that apache 1 was more stable (security wise) on unix like
> systems.

I think that argument is getting a bit thin these days. I thought the main
reason that people still use Apache 1.3 is that the PHP people seem to
still recommend it over Apache 2.0. This is something that some Apache
folks haven't been pleased about.

You might read through:

  http://shiflett.org/archive/86

This is one site which tries to document the issues.