[mod_python] installing on apache 1.x server

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Wed Apr 6 23:00:22 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:25:06AM +1000, Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> On 07/04/2005, at 4:45 AM, David Bear wrote:
>
> >The last time I tried to work with mod_python the install package (a
> >freebsd port) told me I needed NON-Threading python. since I used zope
> >this was not an option (unless I installed a separate python)
> >
> >I am wondering if that is still the case. I am using apache 1.3.x. and
> >have python 2.4.x installed.
> >
> >If it still is required to have non-threading python, are they any
> >recommendations on how to setup up both pythons on the same system,
> >and have mod-python find the 'right' one?
>
> The issue with threading on FreeBSD is that the POSIX thread library
> functions reside in libc_r and not libc. When Apache is built, it only
> links with libc and thus the thread functions aren't available normally.
>
> You would either have to rebuild Apache and have it link with -lc_r
> or follow advice given in FAQ entry:
>
>   http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq02.011.htp
>
> If you don't have any ability to rebuild Apache or change the
> environment
> in which it starts because you are using an ISP who doesn't give you
> that access, then you have a problem.

thanks for the information. I suppose I now have 2 questions.

freebsd related: when I attempt to install mod_python 2.x from the
ports collection I get this:

creating Doc/Makefile
analyzing dependencies
Error: Python installation in /usr/local uses threads. mod_python
requires
it to be built without threads. Please deinstall & rebuild/reinstall
Python with
WITHOUT_THREADS set.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/mod_python.

any idea how I force the build without actually recompiling python?

second question is..

is it now time to really look at apache 2. I've been under the
impression that apache 1 was more stable (security wise) on unix like
systems.

any advice?

--
David Bear