[mod_python] mod_python bake-off?

Nick nick at dd.revealed.net
Fri Sep 3 15:47:30 EDT 2004

David Fraser wrote:

> I think we're trying to do several things here, all of which are
> important. It might help to itemize them, and decide on the best
> approach to each one. I think this will be more powerful than just a
> simple "who's the best?" result - although we could do that for fun too...

(big ol' list of stuff deleted)

This is getting to be really complex, if you want to demonstrate all that.
I rather prefer the KISS approach that makes it easy to identify how a
framework addresses a (fairly) common task.  To me, even benchmarking seems
out of scope, unless you're talking about pure bit pushing power of tasks
performed entirely within the framework itself.

Because this is Python, and if you really can use Python in a framework,
that means you could just as well use an extension module that does
connection pooling and so forth for your database connection.  So how fast
it performs database operations seems moot.  So, therefore, the more
interesting item is how the framework lets you integrate/use standard Python
modules, not which particular one you're using.  If we're going to say
MySQL, I think it's a matter of showing how MySQL is accessed using the
framework, not how will it performs.  Because sooner or later it's going to
be the standard DB API module, yes?

So I think the important thing to focus on is how the framework integrates
with Python #1 to allow you to write applications.  Then comes your
"standard" web application tools you need to write stateful applications,
such as sessions, or you could even call it "server interaction."

In summary, I'd like to see a short list of criteria rather than a long one.
  And the end result should be a collection of applications written in the
different frameworks for people to evaluate for themselves rather than some
list of things to make up a report card where they're all rated on an
arbitrary scale against an arbitrary list of features.

Nick