[mod_python] Questions on _call_ with mp servlets and python

Daniel Popowich dpopowich at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 15:04:53 EDT 2004

Vinj Vinj writes:
> >obvious a method is being called: change the value of
> METHODCALL at
> .the top of servlet.py.  This is probably another
>
> Will this change what is checked for '_call_'.
> Eventually, I'll obfuscate the string, but that's not
> w arequirement right now.

Yes, if you change METHODCALL (or if it's an attribute of Servlet and
you modify it in a subclass) then your HTML will need to be modified
to reflect the change.

> >This functionality exists!  Check out lesson #17 of
> >the tutorial:
>
> the problem with the above approach is that write_html
> is what calls the write_header, write_footer
> write_body_parts, etc and if you don't call that you
> will have to do all of those manually which does not
> seem to be right.

So, if a method gets called via a GET or POST what is it you want to
change?  write_body_parts()?  write_content()?  My hunch is you can
still do the "return True" trick without much headache.

Or, assuming all you want to change is write_content, you can do
something like this:

1. Create a method, default_write_content, and in prep:

       def prep(self):
          HTMLPage.prep(self)
	  self.write_content = self.default_write_content

2. For each "_call_" method named NAME, create a NAME_write_content
   method, eg, if ok_methods_to_call == [foo, bar, baz], then:

       def foo(self):
           self.write_content = self.foo_write_content

       def bar(self):
           self.write_content = self.bar_write_content

       def baz(self):
           self.write_content = self.baz_write_content

   and each of these methods (foo, bar, baz) should return False or
   drop off the end (returning None); then the write_content method
   appropriate for the particular action will be called when
   write_html is called by respond.  If no "_call_" method is called
   then default_write_content will be used.

Hope this helps,

Daniel Popowich