[mod_python] mod_python bake-off?

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Fri Sep 3 10:15:48 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 00:36, David Fraser wrote:
> One of the main advantages of jToolkit (our framework) is that is
> designed for building applications that are portable between different
> databases. I don't see why you need to specify MySQL as the database.
> You could specify that it needs to be a relational database.

The reasoning for this was the mention in this thread of bench marking
the results, in which I've learned will have mre to do with your choosen
database and how you use it than anything a framework does.  The second
is it would be easier to host all results under one roof if they all
used the same database, and I know sourceforge runs MySQL.

Considering that all entries will be run under mod_python, and that
mod_python can setup custom interpters and namespaces/module directories
per vhost, I don't see any reason they can't live on one host.  Does
someone's framework *not* run under mod_python 3 / Apache 2.0 / python
2.3?

If no one is going to try and benchmark the results, then this isn't as
important.  I do however feel that if we are showcasing the business use
of the frameworks, then a relational (open source) database should be
required.  You may not need that for your blog, but if you are looking
at a framework to be used in a corporate setting this will be very
important.

Mike