[mod_python] mod_python bake-off?

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Thu Sep 2 19:09:27 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 16:52, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > What's the point of an HTML authoring competition that happens to use
> > Python to generate the pages?
>
> It's not a competition. It's an exhibition.

I think it's a good idea, no matter what you call it ;)

So what do we want?  So far it is an app that runs under mod_python, and
should require a data store.  If we are going to measure preformance,
then the data store needs to be defined; otherwise the guy who uses dbm
files is at a loss to the guy who uses MySQL.  I think preformance is
important, and also SQL interaction (after all, how many apps are you
working on for customers using dbm files as the main data store?).

Now, at the risk of getting the thread off topic and into a flame war,
I'm going to say that we should state it uses MySQL and also provide the
database as well.  The app shouldn't need any advanced database
features, this wouldn't be showing off the framework anyway.  Also, if
this gets some steam, someone might be able to convince sourceforge to
host the results of the bake off, and they use MySQL.

So the real question I have is who is going to (or knows someone who
will) create the prototype design of this application?

Mike