[mod_python] mod_python bake-off?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Wed Sep 1 10:15:14 EDT 2004

Nic Ferrier wrote:

> The majority of Java webapps (and I think we ought to be thinking
> about competing with Java webapps) are database driven things (maybe
> via EJBs) either e-commerce or subscription revenue models.
>
> If we could show several nice alternatives to Struts and JSF then I
> think we'd be doing a valuable service.

I think the ICFP Programming Contest does a good job of promoting
functional languages without degrading into a religious war. It's
certainly worth looking at for help in developing guidelines:

  http://www.google.com/search?q=ICFP+Programming+Contest

The contest is more concerned with speed and power, but it has an
interesting "lightning round" where submissions received within 24 hours
compete only with each other, to judge a language's suitability for
rapid prototyping.

It's the ability to develop webapps quickly and easily maintain them
that attracts me to mod_python (I don't use frameworks, either).