[mod_python] ImportError: No module named _apache

Huzaifa Tapal huzaifa at hostway.com
Fri Oct 29 15:42:10 EDT 2004

I have followed all the steps outlined in your documentation for mod_python
3.1.3 for apache 2.0.  however, when executing the test script I am running
into a problem where I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

    File "mptest.py", line 1, in ?

        from mod_python import apache

    File
"/usr/local/python2.3.4/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py",
line 28, in ?

        import _apache

ImportError: No module named _apache

After digging around a whole lot, I see that the _apachemodule.c is getting
compiled into the mod_python.so binary.  I checked the init_apache() method
in _apachmodule.c and at one point if there is an error compiling the
_apache module into mod_python, it errors out silently without any
exceptions being raised.

I am afraid that the _apache module might be erroring out and as a result
mod_python is not functioning.

Can you please shed some light?

Huzaifa Tapal