[mod_python] Udate python modules without restarting Apache

Nicolas Lehuen nicolas at lehuen.com
Thu Oct 14 15:51:15 EDT 2004

This __clone__() method is a very neat idea indeed ! For the moment I prefer
not to keep any data between reloads (what needs to be kept is in the
database), but there may be occurrences where such a mechanisms would be
handy.

Right now I'm trying to use imp.new_module but I get curious results...
Apparently some classes that are imported from other modules are redefined
even though they should not. The net result is that some isinstance() tests
fail where they should not (reminds me of ClassLoader problems in Java). I
tried to build a simple test case exhibiting the problem, but it does not.
What's for sure, is that when I do :

exec source in module.__dict__

If module is a fake module object (a place holder class Module(object):
pass), all my code is OK. If it is a real module, I get weird behaviours.
I'm still investigating on the subject.

Regards,

Nicolas