[mod_python] Form data handling (newbie question)

Lee E. Brown Administrator at leebrown.org
Thu Nov 25 22:18:29 EST 2004

Greetings!

In mod_python, form data is returned as a mapping type (dictionary) instead of a sequence type (tuple or list.)

A very handy way to get the form data is to import the util module from mod python:

    from mod_python import util

and then within your handler instantiate an object of the FieldStorage Class:

    def myhandler(req):
        ...(stuff)...
        formdata = util.FieldStorage(req)
        ...(stuff)...

You can then get any of the form's values by name.  Say your form is...

    <input name="age"...
    <input name="gender"...
    <input name="shoe_size"...

...you can then get all your form data from the formdata object:

    if formdata['gender'] == 'male':
        oddness_coefficient = formdata['age'] + formdata['shoe_size']

In my opinion, accessing your form data by name instead of by sequence offsets makes your code a LOT easier to read.

I hope this is of some help.

Best Regards,
Lee E. Brown