[mod_python] Directory separator in uri/filename on Win32.

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Nov 9 05:20:56 EST 2004

On 09/11/2004, at 9:08 PM, David Fraser wrote:

> Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>
>> Can someone who uses mod_python on the Win32 platform, confirm for me
>> what
>> directory separator is used in req.uri and req.filename on Win32.
>>
>> On UNIX (POSIX) one would get something like:
>>
>>   req.uri : /projects/vampire/index.html
>>   req.filename =
>> /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/projects/vampire/index.html
>>
>> I am presuming that on Win32, the URI still uses a forward slash, but
>> that
>> the filename will use backward slash in line with convention for
>> platform
>> and what os.path.sep is set to. Ie.,
>>
>>   req.uri : /projects/vampire/index.html
>>   req.filename =
>> \usr\local\etc\httpd\htdocs\projects\vampire\index.html
>>
>> Is this correct, or does Apache normalise it to the POSIX convention
>> on
>> the Win32 platform?
>
> No, Apache normalises it to the POSIX convention (as is done in apache
> config files):
> req.uri: /demo/css/nounderlinelinks.css
> req.filename: C:/Temp/jSuite.py/jLogbook/html/demo
> (where my handler is set with SetHandler in the demo directory, thats
> why its truncated)
> Hope that helps

Thanks, that does help.

One more question though. Does the use of POSIX path conventions extend
other areas where a path might be defined internally by mod_python?

For example, I use the following code to effectively determine the
directory
where the PythonHandler which applies to the request being serviced was
set.

     if hasattr(req,"hlist"):
       # In mod_python 3.X have the req.hlist member.
       root = req.hlist.directory

     elif hasattr(req,"get_dirs"):
       # In mod_python 2.X have the req.get_dirs() method.
       root = req.get_dirs()["PythonHandler"]

Is "root" going to also use POSIX path convention. This may depend more
on how
mod_python is implemented than Apache depending on how mod_python
determines
what value is used for this.

--
Graham Dumpleton (grahamd at dscpl.com.au)