[mod_python] Suggestion: libpython.so

Michael S. Fischer michael at dynamine.net
Thu May 27 11:57:44 EDT 2004

That's what ab(1) is for.

--Michael

  _____

From: mod_python-bounces at modpython.org
[mailto:mod_python-bounces at modpython.org] On Behalf Of Michael C. Neel
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 10:32 AM
To: David Fraser
Cc: Damjan; mod_python at modpython.org
Subject: Re: [mod_python] Suggestion: libpython.so

I'd be curious to see what, if any, performance changes this would result
in.  A shame you can't timeit.py /usr/bin/apache =p

Mike

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 10:07, David Fraser wrote:

Damjan wrote:

>Recent python installations (I think from 2.3) by default build a

>dynamic libpython library.

>I think mod_python should have a ./configure

>option to use the dynamic library instead of the static library archive.

>The only change is that "-L/usr/lib/python2.3/config" should be

>removed from the LDFLAGS in src/Makefile. This way two things are

>gained, mod_python.so is 100k instead of 1.3M, and minor upgrades to

>python would also upgrade mod_python.

Note that this is what happens on windows.

I am currently working on improving the setup.py script so it can build

the extension on Unix as well as Windows.

Not everyone may want to do it like this... since apxs is nice. But it

seems to work fine.

I might try and include an option to use the dynamic library...

David

Mod_python at modpython.org

 <mailto:michael.neel at mediapulse.com> michael.neel
<mailto:michael.neel at mediapulse.com> @mediapulse.com