[mod_python] Protecting Web apps from to many simultaneous clicks/Hacking

SAiello at Jentoo.com SAiello at Jentoo.com
Thu May 13 18:18:49 EDT 2004

Thanks for all the good info and suggestions.

I have done abit of browsing and checking of Apache's server settings so far.
I would like to have the 'protection' either a part of Apache or mod_python.
I prefer to try to use functions of the software I am already using, then
having to add another application/software layer. Since mod_python was
managing authentication and my sessions, I figured that was the best place to
start.

Performance tuning/tweaking is definitely on the schedule. But I do not see
app protection and performance tweaking as the same. I would like to make the
app be able to protect itself, as long as it is simple and does not add too
many CPU cycles. Besides, if the app has some basic protection written into
it, and I use bandwidth throttling, I then have two sperate layers of
protection.

As to splitting the site, thats another long term plan. for Images I was
thinking of using AOLServer. I have read a few articles saying that as an
image server/cache it is very fast. Though all my images have been custom
made by me, and are very small in size. So far the biggest is 1,126 bytes.

I am just not writing yet another webmail client. What I am writing is a
webmail client for my email system I have put together. The design goal is to
have many small nodes that are redundant for each other and spread the load.
Back end systems (IMAP, filtering, SMTP, etc) are already done.  I just need
a GUI to glue all the bits together for the user :) Sorry if I went offtopic
on what I am trying to do.

Thanks,
  Steven