[mod_python] import madness!

The Doctor What list.modpython at docwhat.gerf.org
Wed May 12 10:39:47 EDT 2004

* Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha at modpython.org) [040511 20:36]:

> On Tue, 11 May 2004, The Doctor What wrote:
>
> > I have found an interesting bug.  My handler has, at it's start,
> > something like:
> > from blah import config
> >
> > This is great, works fine, etc. EXCEPT when I clean up the .pyc
> > files in the blah directory!  Then it says that it cannot import
> > config!
> >
> > Looking at sys.modules, I see that sys.modules[blah.config] is set
> > to <module 'blah' from 'path-to/blah/config.pyc'>. It is
> > easily reproducable.  A lame work around is to make the path-to/blah
> > directory group read-only so that .pyc files cannot be created.
>
> I am not sure I understand - by "clean up" you mean delete the .pyc files
> - but at which point do you get the "cannot import config" error?

Yes, that is right.  Some how mod_python has a cached version of the
blah module, but it points to the .pyc file.  When the .pyc file is
removed, then it raises the ImportError.

Ciao!

--
Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward?  That's the trouble with time
travel, you never can tell."

The Doctor What: <fill in the blank>             http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC