[mod_python] PSP escaping HTML

Johannes Öhlin johannes at aitellu.com
Tue Mar 16 08:52:27 EST 2004

Erik Stephens wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Johannes Öhlin wrote:
>

>>I've encountered some strange behavior of PSP. Whenever I have
>>backslashes in my html-template file PSP messes things up and
>>replaces for example \n with a newline. This destroys some of my
>>javascripts.
>>
>>Can anyone explain what's going on? Am I overlooking something or
>>have I encountered a bug?
>>

>My gut tells me it's not a bug.  Have you tried escaping them (e.g
>\\n, \\\n, etc.)?  Is that feasible?

It is indeed possible to escape the html, but that means corrupting it.
Changing the html, adapting it to PSP, doesn't really address the
problem, it's more of a quick fix of the symptom.

Isn't PSP supposed to pass on everything not enclosed in <% %> as is?
Looking at the output of display_code() it seems like PSP escapes quotes
("), but not backslashes. Is there a reason for this?

/Johannes