[mod_python] Trouble spawning a long running process...

Eric Walstad eric at ericwalstad.com
Wed Jun 2 11:27:38 EDT 2004

Hi Grisha and the gang...
On Wednesday 02 June 2004 09:43, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Eric Walstad wrote:
> > Do any of you have advice for a good way to keep the user from having to
> > wait for long processes to finish before seeing a response from
> > mod_python?
>
> Here is another idea - instead of spawning, register it as a cleanup
> (req.register_cleanup()). It will execute within the Apache process, but
> after the request is processed, and shouldn't really interfere with
> anything.

Thanks to you, Mike and Gus for your replies.

req.register_cleanup() looks like a good match.  I doubt I would have ever
found register_cleanup on my own!  Do you have any tips on how to tell when
the cleanup process has completed?  I'm currently checking for the existence
of the generated iso file, but there's a brief period where the file exists
(os.path.exists) but has not been completely written yet.  That's probably
not a problem, but might be if I try to  stream the file to the client while
it's being written by mkisofs (that's my next hurdle).  Checking
os.path.exists just feels like a bit of a hack, that's all.  Any thoughts?

If register_cleanup doesn't work, I'll give "nohup sudo 'mycommand' &" a try
and live with the "exists" hack.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Eric.