[mod_python] mod_python and SMP

Robert Leftwich robert at leftwich.info
Wed Jan 7 15:23:26 EST 2004

Sorry - finger trouble on the first attempt:

I'm running into a problem when using mod_python on an older SMP machine
running windows
The setup is Windows 2000, dual Celeron processors, Apache 2.0.48,
mod_python 3.0.4, python 2.3.3. I have 2 locations served by mod_python,
the first is a generic XSL transformer service (performed via the Python
bindings for libxslt) and the second serves up some xml after first
filtering it (again via libxslt). The problem I have is when I ask the
first service to run some xsl on an xml file where the xsl uses the
document() function to access the second service, the second service is
never accessed and there is nothing in any of the logs to suggest otherwise.
I tried setting mod_python to use different child interpreters but it made
no difference. Some googling turned up
(http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2003-June/003307.html)
where Grisha says in answer to Paul Robinson:

"> For example, on a Windows platform where there is a single
 > multi-threaded Apache process (mpm_wint
 > [http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_winnt.html]) is it correct to
 > say that mod_python would not be able to take advantage of a
 > multi-processor machine due to the GIL?

The answer, unfortunately, is yes. Here is a google search that has some
info on the subject: http://www.google.com/search?q=python+free-threading

AFAIK the state of things has not changed with respect to SMP and GIL."

So it appears that I am running into this limitation. Is there any
alternative or is the combination of Windows/Apache2.xx/mod_python/SMP not
useable?

Robert