[mod_python] Mod Python Issue?

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Fri Feb 13 08:46:34 EST 2004

ntimm wrote:

> I am running mod python 3.0.4 with apache 2.0.47 connecting to a
> postgresql database. The only issue I am having is that each time a
> mod python script is called that has a db query in all just select
> statements if leaves a instance of postgres running and eventually my
> max connection to postgres is hit. I have tried the db.close
> statements but then that cause sporadic errors with the connection not
> being valid. The only way I have found to close the postgres instance
> is either restart apache or postgres. I there some mod python variable
> that I can use or any type of connection pooling Or maybe a apache
> config option I have tried messing with the apache config but with no
> luck.
>
> I have tried to use PythonImport variable but couldn’t get it to work
> with the pg module at all.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

If you post some of the relevant code it will be easier to see what the
problem is...
But basically if you import the pg module, it will not be re-imported
for each call.
So you want to set up a global variable that is the connection, then
just create a new cursor each time the script is run, and close the
cursor at the end.
Running under Unix, you will still get multiple connections because
there are multiple Python Interpreters - one for each Apache process -
but there will be a limit.
Not sure about the connection pooling, but have a look at
http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/ - I haven't used it, but it seems to be
the kind of thing you want...

David