[mod_python] Error in 3.1.2b documentation

John McCaskey jmccaskey1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 21:33:57 EST 2004

Forgive me if this is a known issue and this documentation is just not up to
date as 3.1.2 is a beta version, however I am just getting familiar with
mod_python.

In section 3.4 the following example code is presented:

from mod_python import apache

def authenhandler(req):

    pw = req.get_basic_auth_pw()
    user = req.user

    if user == "spam" and pw == "eggs":
       return apache.OK
    else:
       return apache.HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED

This code would cause my apache to return a 500 internal server error and I
found the following in my logs:
[Thu Feb 05 21:24:09 2004] [error] [client 10.0.0.1] python_handler: After
PythonAuthenHandler req->user is NULL. Assign req.user to avoid this error.

>From that I was able to deduce the problem and added:
               req.user = 'unauthorized'
directly above the return apache.HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED.

No big deal, but whoever takes care of the docs might want to update the
example.

Btw, I love what I see so far! I'm a long time apache/php/mysql user and
I've also done several projects with j2ee and .net but I have high hopes
that mod_python will be a more flexible and powerful platform for some
upcoming projects!

John McCaskey