[mod_python] XSLT versus 'traditional' templating

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Fri Aug 20 11:18:19 EDT 2004

(combined responses, this thread is probably getting too offtopic...)

Scott Sanders wrote:
Nic Ferrier wrote:
[I believe you both told me it's possible to stream data through an XSLT
processor; please correct me if this is not what you meant!]

My basic problem here is that there are trivial XSLT fragments that may
not be determinable until the entire source document has been read.
Consider <xsl:if test="/foo/bar">There is a bar element</xsl:if>.  In
this example, a source document may have no bar elements at all, or it
may have a bar element as the very last element before closing the root
foo element.  An XSLT processor cannot distinguish these cases until the
root element has been closed.

If the bar element appeared earlier in the document, a sufficiently
clever XSLT processor could continue processing as soon as that element
was encountered, but this falls down when you consider:

<xsl:for-each select="/foo/bar">Another bar found</xsl:for-each>

In this case, processing must be halted until the root element has been
closed, since another bar element may be encountered at any time.  Once
again, a clever processor could continue processing, storing tree
fragments for later use, but it could not output any further elements
until it was satisfied that the xsl:for-each had completed.

So, I can see how a sufficiently clever XSLT processor could stream
output where possible, but this requires the stylesheet author to
carefully avoid any construct that would cause output to block.  Most
notably, any XPath expression used to control transformation that cannot
be sufficiently evaluated until the document is fully parsed must be
avoided, and for any non-trivial use of XSLT, this is, to say the least,
a hard task.

If I'm missing something here, please fill me in, because I am in the
process of recommending an XML/XSLT approach to web development here at
work, and I'd love to strike out the cost to perceived response times
associated with a document transformation.

--
bje