[mod_python] PSP buffer?

Jim Dabell jim-mod-python at jimdabell.com
Thu Aug 12 20:53:28 EDT 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 18:03, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Jim Dabell wrote:
> > Unfortunately, that just repeatedly calls req.write(), which doesn't give
> > me the opportunity to perform any operations on the result before it is
> > sent to the client, or even output additional headers afterwards.  For
> > instance, I can't find a way of producing a Content-Length header, or
> > using content encoding to gzip the response body.
>
> You shouldn't need to set content length because it will be set by Apache
> for you. Apache will decide wither to set it depending on the protocol
> version used and whether the client accepts chunked encoding.

Great!  Is there a description of all the fixups Apache adds anywhere?

> If you want to gzip the response, the proper way to do this in Apache 2.0
> would be by implementing a filter rather than a handler, there is actually
> an example of how to do this in mod_python in the examples directory,
> though you will probably be better off using something like mod_gzip.

Thanks, that's useful to know and I'll probably use that, but Content-Length
and gzip were just examples.  I was really hoping for a clean way of getting
the result of a PSP instead of it being automatically sent to the client; I'd
rather not split my script up if it's not necessary.

I'd use this buffer for such things as:

* Generating an etag header based upon the template result.

* Generating a header that showed how long the template transformation took.

* Running the result through HTML Tidy.

* Converting to XHTML where acceptable.

* Providing a Content-MD5 header.

Sure, all of these things can be hacked around, separated into filters or
placed into templates, I just don't see the point when an output buffer would
give a clean way of doing all this in a single handler, and I could leave the
templates to simply be templates.

--
Jim Dabell