[mod_python] Status of Mac OS X / Apache 1.3 / mod_python 2.7.10.

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Fri Aug 6 22:30:23 EDT 2004

On 05/08/2004, at 1:37 PM, Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> On Aug 04 15:26, Justin Ryan <jryan at qutang.net> wrote:
>>
>> Subject: Re: [mod_python] Status of Mac OS X / Apache 1.3 /
>> mod_python 2.7.10.
>>
>> Be careful when playing with the file/directory/link/whateva that is
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.Framework.  I ran into some
>> wierdness
>> trying to change this into a symlink and move it around (i.e. change
>> it
>> back and forth from pointing to Apple's python and my own).
>>
>> Also, take care when using the 'python' command after installing your
>> own framework build.  It's kind of a pain to get a framework build to
>> stick python, pythonw, etc.. in /usr/bin - all of my stuff was in
>> /usr/local/bin, even though I passed --prefix=/usr to the configure
>> script.
>
> I would agree and why I didn't want to go down the path of having to
> replace
> the standard version of Python on MacOSX with a newer version to get
> mod_python
> to work. Similarly, I didn't want to be replacing their version of
> Apache.
>
> Anyway, listed below is the changes I had to make to get it to build
> and work
> on MacOSX (10.3.3) with the standard Python (2.3) and Apache (1.3)
> that come
> with the operating system.
>
> First off, after running configure, change "src/Makefile" and replace:
>

> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/
> python2.3/config/libpython2.3.a
>
> with:
>
>   -framework Python
>
> in LIBS variable.
>
> Second, in the same makefile, change CFLAGS and add in:
>
>   -DEAPI
>
> as a compiler option.
>
> This will allow mod_python to build, but the result will crash.

Just for the record, forgot that to build in thread support to
mod_python correctly,
need to modify configure before running it and change:

   if test "$PyTHREADS" = "1"; then

to:

   if test "$PyTHREADS" = "True"; then

This is because Python 2.3 generates "True" and not "1".

--
Graham Dumpleton (grahamd at dscpl.com.au)