[mod_python] mod_python.publisher weirdness

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Wed Apr 14 20:15:26 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <grisha at modpython.org>
To: "Jeff Hinrichs" <jlh at cox.net>
Cc: <mod_python at modpython.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: [mod_python] mod_python.publisher weirdness

> I think this is becoming a FAQ....
>
> You cannot have modules with the same name in one Python interpreter.
> Since both of the below directories execute within the same
> subinterpreter, if you use same names for modules (index.py) as well as
> any global variables, you will have name clashes and rather unpredictable
> behaviour.
>
> The solution is to either name things differently, or configure Apache
> such that mrt and mrtJDB run in different subinterpreters.
>
> I recommend reading this part of the manual:
>
> http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/pyapi-interps.html
>
> Grisha
Ok, I think I grok this now and it makes sense.  I've implemented the
PythonInterpPerDirectory On for each httpd.conf section that I'm running.
And it works like what I initially, but incorrectly, thought would happen.

I've read the section 4.1 Multiple Interperters and 5.4.4
PythonInterPerDirectory.  Will the pitfalls of URI translation impact my use
of sessions?  It looks as if I was trying to intertwine my app tightly with
the Apache request flow I might get some unintended effects but since I
don't think that is what I am after should I be ok?

Also, If I wanted to hide the .py extensions and I don't want to use the
PythonInterPerDirectory, I would most likely need to implement some apache
rewrite rules to do something like
/foo -> /foo/foo.py
/foo/bar -> foo/bar/bar.py

Correct?

-Jeff

p.s. I am starting to write up an FAQ entry for this.  Do you think it
should go in Section 2.  Problems Running or another section?