[mod_python] import_module

Ron Alford ronwalf at umd.edu
Wed Apr 14 09:00:50 EST 2004

Since this seems to come up over and over again with the
apache.load_module, I thought I'd mention my solution:

I have a pair of functions,

pathToModuleName(filename), which returns a module name from a given
filename, and
loadModule(filename, modulename), which returns a module loaded into the
given modulename.

My general pattern for using these is
mname = PREFIX + '.' + pathToModuleName(req.filename)
module = loadModule(req.filename, mname)

You can find my implementation here:
http://svn.mindswap.org/website/branches/unstable/swlib/swlib/util.py

I can slap any license you want on it for this section (but my wife and
I are having a debate between BSD-like and LGPL for the rest of the code
base :).

An alternative implementation would be to have a global in apache that
matched filenames to  a randomly generated module name, thus avoiding a
bunch of the code that I needed.  I think this method could be easily
integrated into the mod_python code-base.  Anyone see a problem with this?

-Ron