[mod_python] Problems installing mod_python...openpty

Mike Klein mikeklein at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 29 15:27:18 EST 2003

I've googled/etc. and can't seem to find an answer to this one.

I am using RH9, and a separately installed Python (v. 2.2.3). My mod_python
is 2.7.8. Mod_python's install instructions say it works with <up to> Python
2.1.

My configure command is:

./configure --with-apxs=/apache/bin/apxs --with-python=/src/Python-2.2.3

The above version of python is compiled without threads and is in
/usr/local/python, whereas stock rh python is in /usr/bin and /usr/lib.

My apache is started with /usr/local/python/bin in the path before /usr/bin,
so apache is now using my custom python. This eliminated some site warnings
I was getting on restart.

When I attempt starting apache I get the following error:

Starting httpsd: Syntax error on line 211 of
/usr/local/apache/conf/httpsd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_python.so into server:
/usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_python.so: undefined symbol: openpty

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

thanks in advance...