[mod_python] ANNOUNCE: Mod_python 3.1.0 Alpha

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at apache.org
Sun Sep 7 18:45:45 EST 2003

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Conrad Steenberg wrote:

> This prompts a change in the kernel semaphore settings on older linuxes
> (redhat 7.3 specifically).

Well - I think this is really a redhat problem. I believe I even saw
something reporting it as a security problem - it is very easy for someone
to deprive an rh box of available semaphores. I wonder what the default is
on rh 8 and 9 (anyone?).

> As this will likely trip up new sysadmins that just want to try out the
> package,

It probably will :-(
But that's why there is a "Hint" in the error log for Linux users.

> is there a way to reduce the number of sessions (or space for
> these sessions) by using a directive?

Yes, there is a way - adjust MaxClients. Some MPM's (at least worker) will
alter MaxClients if the other directives do not add up to or exceed it, so
it's possible other values may need adjusting.

BTW, mod_python does NOT quit if it was able to allocate *some* locks, but
not *all*, it only writes a warning to the error log and proceeds. But
what craps out after that is mod_rewrite, which wants a global lock, but
mod_python has eaten them all. So perhaps I can adjust it so that if we
allocated *some* but not *all*, then to free one (or two?)  so that
mod_rewrite is happy.

(On the other hand doing this may seem like going too far to adress what
is really a lousy config default in the kernel....)

Grisha