[mod_python] Best practise for database connection pooling?

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Fri Sep 5 03:42:29 EST 2003

We are looking to build a large content management system using
mod_python and PostgreSQL. I'm interested in what is considered "best
practise" for database connection pooling. So far, I've been playing
with the idea of setting up a single database connection as a global
variable at the start of each mod_python script - since scripts stay in
memory between requests, this can be reused for requests without needing
to reopen the connection. It also means that every httpd child process
spun off by the server ends up with its own database connection.

The postgres server is running on the same machine as the web server,
but we may move to separate servers for the two in the future. Am I on
the right track, or is there a better way of managing database connnections?

Incidentally, the database connection module we are using is
http://pypgsql.sourceforge.net/

Thanks,

Simon Willison