[mod_python] relocation error with Apache 1.3 on solaris 8

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Thu Sep 4 10:28:06 EST 2003

Marco Vezzoli wrote:

>synec at viscous.org wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:17:18AM +0200, Marco Vezzoli wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>I'm evaluating mod_python for our intranet site; we are using
>>>
>>>solaris 8
>>>gcc 3.0.1
>>>apache 1.3.19
>>>python 2.1.1
>>>mod_python 2.7.8 compiled with DSO
>>>
>>>Compilation and basic tests run good.
>>>I use the mod_python.publisher module for deploy but some modules can't
>>>be imported because there is some name resolution error (messages
>>>follows).
>>>I googled whitout success for this problem (many ask nobody answer).
>>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>>              Marco
>>>

>>Marco,
>>
>>this isn't a mod_python problem; it's a psycopg/postgresql problem. in
>>case you're not familiar, psycopg is a python module used to access a
>>postgresql database.
>>
>>it looks to me like psycopg was linked against a different version of
>>libpq than the one that the runtime linker is using, but that's just a
>>guess.
>>
>>you can find more information on psycopg on its website:
>>http://initd.org/software/psycopg
>>
>>good luck,
>>john spurling
>>

>Thank you for the answer; I did some other test and I verified that
>
>-some other modules importing .so are working correctly e.g.
>mx.DateTime, gadfly
>-some don't e.g. cgi (fails to load libssl, messages below)
>-another postgres driver fails with a similar error (messages below)
>-pure python imports psycopg correctly (so I imagine it could be some
>apache/mod_python linking problem)
>-no other libpq nor libssl are in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
>I'm using gnu ld: does this cause some problem?
>I've tried hacking my path so that it finds Sun's ld but errors are the
>same.
>Is it an apache config problem?
>TIA for any help
>
>	Marco

Searching google for httpd fatal relocation error symbol not found libpq
solaris yields some interesting results, so this seems like a more
general problem.
e.g. http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7733831&list=10
and an interesting thread on other similar solaris problems
http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/apache0203/222/1.html

David