[mod_python] ANNOUNCE: gila, mod_python util library

Michael Owens mike at mikesclutter.com
Tue Nov 4 22:34:13 EST 2003

That's a very interesting question, and frankly I've never given it a lot of
thought.

If you are asking whether or not the same UA could post multiple initial,
simultaneous requests and get multiple session ID's, then the answer is yes,
it could. My assumption, however, is that the initial request from a UA would
be limited to a single request --- long enough for a SID to be generated and
set in a cookie, before the it made further requests. Once the cookie is set,
you are in the clear.

If you are referring to this occurance after the SID, the same still applies:
if the UA makes two simulaneous request, then there is no attempt to order or
line them up. They both are processed indepently, without knowlege of each
other. You could probably do this pretty easily and quickly with sleepycat,
assuming all your requests are handled by a single server. It might be even
easier with a RDBMS but it may have a performace impact.

Right now, I get session data from mysql/pgsql and it has no discernable
impact, but more times that not, its a simple select statement which most
likely comes out of the db cache. I imagine ordering would require select for
update (blocking), update, and delete. Now you are blocking and hitting disk
--- quite a bit slower.

What are the advantages/applications where you would want to have this? I
haven't run into a need for it yet --- maybe credit card processing?