[mod_python] Why are you using mod_python?

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at gmx.net
Sun Mar 30 22:55:55 EST 2003

Hi there!

I like mod_python because I like Python and I am glad whenever I can use it
to write web applications. Customers, however, in most cases ask me to go for
PHP or so since this is easier to find programmers for for maintenance
afterwards.

> Personally, my primary goal in using it (and other mod_* language
> modules) is to improve the performance/scalability of my CGI applications.

This is true for me, too.

> Unfortunately, I really dislike the Publisher handler's way of doing
things
> (the programname.py/method URL syntax feels silly to me) and it seems
> like most people are very down on the capabilities and stability of the
> CGI handler so I find myself just going plain CGI anyway for many things
> now when I use python.

This is absolutely true for myself, too. Clearly, I would appreciate
mod_python to have nothing but advantages, but it does have those unconfortable
features.

> Almost all introductions I've seen to mod_python begin with a
> tutorial on creating a handler.  I'd venture a guess that writing
> handlers is what fewer than 1% of web developers want to do
> with an apache module initially.  In my experience, most people
> want to write some code and have it run faster than it would run
> under straight CGI...they don't want to write custom handlers.

I absolutely agree. This is my opinion, too.

I also do not see why modifying the webserver's (Apache's) configuration
should be advantagous when I, say, add a new directory to my web project. When I
want to write, say, a website, I do not want to go into /etc/apache.conf (I
might not even have access to it!), but I want to go straight into coding.
And porting this code to another webserver should not be a nightmare, but a job
of copying the .py files, that's it.

I like Python and I'd be happy to see mod_python becoming as popular for web
programming as PHP is today.

Cheers, Peter

--
Peter Bittner
mail: peter.bittner at gmx.net

"Free software is like free speech, not free beer" (Richard Stallman)