[mod_python] Apache, Threading and Multi-Processing Modules

Paul Robinson paul.robinson at groupbc.com
Wed Jun 11 17:45:17 EST 2003

I'm trying to understand Apache and mod_python in order to understand
how to approach the design of some fairly generic concepts with regard
to database backed, web front ended applications.
Let me start by saying everything I say assumes Apache 2 and mod_python
3.0.3 currently.

Apache has a number of modes of operation when it comes to threading and
forking, I would like to understand how these things interact with
Python subinterpreters
[http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/pyapi-interps.html] and
issues such as the Python global interpreter lock (GIL)
[http://www.python.org/doc/current/api/threads.html].

For example, on a Windows platform where there is a single
multi-threaded Apache process (mpm_wint
[http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_winnt.html]) is it correct to
say that mod_python would not be able to take advantage of a
multi-processor machine due to the GIL?

In another, given Apache running in the prefork MPM
[http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/prefork.html]- is it a) possible
or b) useful to have a global, per-Apache-process persitant data
strucuture sharing a pool of (threadsafe) database connections. I would
say not useful since that process will only ever be running a single
mod_python request at a time - hence more than one item in the pool
would be useless. Given the "worker MPM"
[http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/worker.html] however it may be
useful but it's not clear to me if it would be possible.

Taking the specific example of database connections (let me note I have
read and believe I understand FAQ 3.3) is it ever useful or possible to
share a pool of database connectors, rather than a single connector in
the global namespace. I assume that code such as that in FAQ 3.3 would
require additional locking mechanisms in order to function correctly in
a multi-threaded Apache environment?

I bet there must be some code in existing projects that does stuff like
this. Any pointers?

Maybe I'm confusing myself at the moment - maybe some other people as
well ;-)

Thanks in advance,
	Paul