[mod_python] supporting modular mod_python extensions vs. "folding" mod_psp

Todd Grimason todd at slack.net
Fri Jun 6 14:33:10 EST 2003

* Roy S. Rapoport <mod_python at ols.inorganic.org> [2003-06-06 14:11]:

> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 01:56:09PM -0400, Todd Grimason wrote:
> > This I'm too new and inexperienced to comment on. I can say it
> > eternally frustrates me that almost every ISP in the world supports
> > mod_php but near-zero mod_python. Hopefully this will improve
>
> I'm not tremendously surprised by this, actually.

Oh me neither, I said 'frustrates' not 'suprises' :-)

Perhaps a better comparison would be java servlets running in Tomcat or Resin, a java Web App container. Definitely not widely available for low-end ISP accounts, admittedly has the Sun marketing muscle behind it, but seems more focused.

While there are multiple containers (tomcat,resin,jetty,sun-one,etc.), pretty much every app built on them (every?) leverages the java.servlet.* classes and or jsp (built on top of servlets). I guess my point is this lets everyone focus efforts on higher-level frameworks - Struts, Turbine, whatever - extending the base plumbing (classes) when needed, but not inventing the wheel over and over again, which fun as it may be, appears to me to be hindering overall progress of Python on the web and/or mod_python.

31 flavors is great, but when you're wondering "how do I eat ice cream?", 31 choices before starting is a bit intimidating (sorry for the commercial advertisement there).

Am I completely off-base here?

--

toddgrimason*todd at slack.net