[mod_python] HP-UX llibpython2.2.a link issue

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Fri Feb 14 09:45:43 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Christian Ferrari wrote:

> # /opt/apache2/bin/httpd -v
> Server version: Apache/2.0.44
> Server built:   Feb 13 2003 16:53:25
> *** Install steps:
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/apache2

Here you also need --enable-so

> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library lpython2.2.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
> *** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
> *** with libpython2.2 and none of the candidates passed a file format test
> *** using a file magic. Last file checked:
> /opt/Python-2.2/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.a

I do not have any experience with HP-UX, but on other systems a similar
message indicates an old version of libtool, which wouldn't allow linking
shared and static libs together. So I'd first see if upgrading libtool
would help. After you upgrade, rebuild apache by first running
./buildconf like this:

./buildconf
./configure --prefix=/opt/apache2 --enable-so
make clean
make

Then for mod_python, do make clean; make

Grisha