[mod_python] Apache startup error using mod_python under Windows 2000 (have msvcr70.dll)

Laird Shaw lairdshaw at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 29 20:44:41 EST 2003

Hi all,

Apologies if I've missed the answer to this question somewhere, but I've
searched to no avail.

Whilst attempting to start, Apache fails with:

Syntax error on line 175 of C:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/modules/mod_python.so into
server: The specified module could not be found.

I've checked that I've specified the correct path to mod_python.so.

I saw in another post that msvcr70.dll is required, and duly downloaded and
copied it into winnt\system32, believing I had solved the problem.  Alas, no
such luck.  Same error.

OS = Windows 2000 5.00.2195, Service pack 4
Python = 2.3
Apache = 2.0.47
msvcr70.dll = 7.00.9064.0

This is the relevent part of httpd.conf:

LoadModule python_module modules/mod_python.so

<Directory C:/data/webroot/htdocs>
  AddHandler python-program .py
  PythonHandler mptest
  PythonDebug On
</Directory>

As an aside, I am also running mod_perl and php4apache2 - but I don't
imagine they would affect anything.

I'm new to python - haven't even written a single line of code yet, however
I have run the interpreter to verify that it installed properly.

I have added C:\python23 to my path but haven't set any other environment
variables.

Thanks in advance,

Laird